Description/Responsibilities Judge volunteers may evaluate student teams through interviews, review Engineering Notebooks and multi-media presentations, observe on-the-field performance, and even present awards as needed. Judges can play many roles depending on the assignment:
- Review Engineering Notebooks
- Judge presentations (online or in person)
- Observe teams on the competition floor
- Walk around to interview teams in the pit areas (most Judges).
- Present awards as needed (the Event Partner will decide who presents awards).
Experience and Skills Needed
- Prefer some judging experience, but beginners can be trained quickly and easily
- Pay attention to detail and be impartial
- Interact positively with students
- Communicate effectively
Mix of sitting and walking throughout the day.
All Judge Roles are ALL DAY Roles
Training Before Event
Get familiar with the tournament format.
Review the Game Manual and current game information for your assigned competition.
The Official Game Manuals can be found online: VRC/VEX U: The Official VRC Game Manual found at the bottom of the VEX Robotics Competition page.
VEX IQ Challenge: The Official VEX IQ Challenge Game Manual found at the bottom of the VEX IQ Challenge page.
Review the Judge Guide, Awards Appendix, Award Rubrics, and all online training materials, which may include documents, score sheets, examples, and training videos. On the Volunteer Resources page select the appropriate tab for your program (VEX IQ Challenge, VEX Robotics Competition, or VEX U) and click on Judge to reveal available training resources.
Dress Code Wear comfortable team-neutral clothing appropriate for a school related event, closed toe shoes, and a Judge or volunteer shirt (if provided)