Description/Responsibilities Referee/Scorekeeper volunteers assist with recording and verifying scores using either score sheets or electronic tablets.
- Record scores using TM Mobile app or paper score sheets.
- If acting in a referee role as well as a Scorekeeper role, interpret and enforce the rules of the game.
- Verify recorded scores with the Head Referee as needed and with the student Drivers after each match.
- Write legibly on all scoring documents.
Experience and Skills Needed
- Experienced volunteers preferred for Referee role; Scorekeepers only can be new volunteers and trained quickly
- Apply knowledge of the game and rules
- Pay attention to detail and be impartial
- Work effectively as a member of a team
- Interact positively with students
Constant Standing & Walking
Training Before Event
- Get familiar with how matches are run. It is helpful to attend a local event prior to volunteering, though not required.
- Read the Official VEX IQ Challenge Next Level Game Manual found at the bottom of the VEX IQ Challenge page, paying special attention to The Game section.
- Review the Referee Guide, Referee Videos, and all online training materials, which may include documents, score sheets, examples, and videos. On the Volunteers - Volunteer Resources page select the VEX IQ tab and click on Referee/Scorekeeper to reveal available training resources.
- Refer to the score sheets on Page 2 of this document as examples of how to fill out paper score sheets correctly.
Dress Code Wear comfortable team-neutral clothing appropriate for a school related event, closed toe shoes, and a Referee or volunteer shirt (if provided).